WELCOME TO TABOR

The first Czech immigrants started arriving in Dakota Territory in 1868, and settled west of Yankton. These poor people from Bohemia came to America with hope of improving their living conditions and attaining a better future. The majority of Czech's settled around Tabor. Being mostly of the catholic faith, their first concern was to organize a religious community. Church services first started taking place in 1871 at the log home of Vaclav Janda, one mile south of Tabor. The town site of Tabor was purchased from Johanna Kocer on April 14, 1872 with 53 charter members. In that same year, work began at the north end of the site for the first church of the St. Wenceslaus parish. The church was completed in 1874, and was constructed of chalk rock cut near the Missouri River south of Tabor. The chalk rock church was quickly outgrown, and a new 42’ X 132’ red brick church was built in 1898. The brick church still serves as the House of the Lord for today's parishioners. Since St. Wenceslaus Church is the only church in a town of 423 people, parish activities and functions are social highlights for the community
.
Tabor’s GPS location is (42°56′52″N and 97°39′29″W) or ( / 42.94778° N and 97.65806°W / 42.94778° N and 97.65806°W)

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.4 square miles, all of it land.

Tabor has been assigned the ZIP code 57063 and the FIPS place code 62820.

Tabor’s elevation is 1,345 feet above sea level.

Tabor’s ZIP code is 57063

Tabor’s Area code is 605

Tabor’s FIPS code is 46-62820

Tabor’s GNIS code is 1258490

Located on SD Hwy 50:          
92 miles southwest of Sioux Falls, SD;
82 miles northwest of Sioux City, Iowa;
78 miles northwest of Norfolk, NE;
67 miles southeast of Mitchell, SD;
45 miles northeast of Verdigre, NE;
45 miles west of Vermillion, SD;
33 miles northeast of Niobrara, NE;
28 miles northwest of Crofton, NE
25 miles southwest of Menno, SD;
22 miles east of Avon, SD;
19 miles northeast of Springfield, SD;
18 miles west of Yankton, SD;
17 miles southeast of Scotland, SD;
12 miles east of Tyndall, SD;
9.5 miles southwest of Lesterville, SD

Lewis and Clark Lake and Tabor Recreation facilities are located 8 miles southeast of Tabor.

Population of:  423 people according to the 2010 census
370 rural residents in the surrounding area

Located in the NE 1/4 of Section 23, Township 94, Range 58 of Bon Homme County, South Dakota.  The county was one of the first four counties organized in Dakota Territory. 

Bon Homme County has:       
Lewis and Clark Lake (Missouri River) for the southern boundary;
Yankton County for the eastern boundary;
Hutchinson County for the northern boundary;
Charles Mix County for the western boundary.

The majority of the citizens of the area in and around Tabor are of southern Bohemia, Czech Republic or Slovakian Decent. 

The primary occupation of the citizens revolves around the agriculture industry. 

The citizens are predominately Roman Catholic.

Three public parks:

Leonard Cimpl Park:     Baseball;
   
Takota Park:   Picnicking
  Playground
  Sand volleyball
  Basketball Court
  Tennis Court
  Softball Diamond
   
Vancura Memorial Park:  Czech Heritage pioneer mini-village and museum.

Blachnik Museum

St. Wenceslaus Catholic Church and cemetery. 

Czech Days, the huge heritage celebration, is held on the third weekend in the
month of June.

Streets are hard surfaced
Water from the B-Y Rural Water District 
Electricity from Bon Homme-Yankton Electric Association rural electric cooperative
Local telephone call from Tabor to Tyndall and from Tabor to Yankton.